While most people want to lose weight, get fitter, get healthier … it can be tough forming the habits.
It took me many starts and frustrations before I learned how to live a healthier lifestyle. In 2005, I was 70 lbs. heavier, a smoker, addicted to junk food, sedentary, couldn’t exercise for more than a few days without quitting.
Today, I am much healthier, leaner, fitter. I eat healthily most of the time (with regular indulgences) and I’m able to stick to a meal plan if I want, and avoid junk food most of the time.
How did I change? I learned a few simple strategies. These aren’t for everyone, so pick and choose the ones that might fit in your life, and give them a try!
1. Toss out the junk food.
2. Find some healthy recipes and buy the ingredients.
3. Cook in bulk.
4. Stock up on healthy snacks.
5. Socialize in healthier ways.
6. Find a workout partner.
7. Use social media for motivation.
8. Play outside.
9. Find healthy options for eating out.
10. Make water & tea your default drink.
11. Schedule active breaks.
12. Get your spouse on board.
13. Start small — don’t overdo it.
14. Have fun exercising.
15. Drink red wine.
16. Explore berries, kale, raw almonds and walnuts, avocado, flaxseeds, quinoa, tofu, tempeh.
17. Add healthy ingredients to your meals.
18. Try new ethnic foods.
19. Stop smoking.
20. Diet before exercise.